23 November 2015

Sausage + Aged Cheddar Stuffed Spaghetti Squash | Cooking For Crohn's

DSC_8061.jpg
DSC_8059.jpg
DSC_8053.jpg
"At home I serve the kind of food I know the story behind."
Michael Pollan


Although these days tend to feel more like an Indian Summer, I still have that autumn urge to retreat inside our cozy home under a woolen blanket of warmth, my hot tea and good book. The record player will softly hum in the background and faint sounds of crackles will trickle out of the fireplace; scents of cinnamon and homemade applesauce will rope their way around the banister and sneak up to the children's room before they have time to finish their homework. But who am I kidding, I can't tell you the last time I curled up with a blanket, a book and cup of tea! When the kids do actually work in silence, I'm running around the house like a mad woman, attempting to get everything done in those few moments of solitude. But I have a vision.

The days are still warm and our fireplace sits empty. Our weather may not be a true reflection of Ohio's traditional November, but I can certainly make sure my home reflects all the comforts of the season. The autumn scents, the homemade applesauce and the hearty dishes that accompany this time of the year. I may not have my book and blanket, but I certainly have my food and kitchen.

SAUSAGE + AGED CHEDDAR STUFFED SPAGHETTI SQUASH
Ingredients:
2 medium to large spaghetti squash, or winter squash of choice
1 1b ground turkey (organic, free-range is best)
1 Chopped Onion
2 Chopped Stalks Of Celery
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Pepper
1 Tsp Fresh Rosemary
1 Chopped Apple
1 Cup Aged Cheddar Cheese, grated
* 2 cloves of garlic (I omit this due to my garlic allergy)

Cut each spaghetti squash in half, scrape out the seeds and place on a cookie sheet. Drizzle each squash half with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast in a preheated oven at 400˚F (200˚C) for 40-50 minutes - or until tender when pierced with a fork.

While squash is roasting, in a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat oil and add onion, celery, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Cook until onions begin to soften. Add garlic, if using, and ground turkey and sauté until sausage is browned on all sides. Add apple and cook until soft. Mix in aged cheddar cheese just until incorporated. Remove from heat.

Once the squash is done, remove from the oven and add the turkey sausage filling. Sprinke the tops with the grated cheddar cheese and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.

Let cool and serve.
Bon appétit and happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love reading each and every comment and will reply to them here in this comment section. Thanks!

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS